Acne has always been a problem among many adolescents. But, adults are not spared from this skin problem. One of the best ways to deal with acne is to consult with a skin doctor in Salt Lake City. But, it also helps to know a few tips that have proven to be effective when it comes to getting rid of pimples and enjoying clearer skin.
First, What Causes Acne?
Pimples surface when hair follicles become clogged. There are several things that can cause the follicles to be clogged, but the most common ones are oil and dead skin. When that happens, pimples, blackheads, and whiteheads can appear on the skin. Acne can appear on the face, chest, back, and other parts of the body where there are a lot of oil glands. Those oil glands are closely connected with follicles.
Aside from clogged follicles, there are three other main causes for acne breakouts to occur, namely the following:
- Too much skin oil
- Too much androgen
Androgens are hormones whose production goes up when a person enters adolescence. Since androgens cause acne breakouts, that condition has been closely associated with teenagers.
There are a lot of misconceptions regarding acne, however. One of the common myths is that acne is caused by eating oily foods. But, oils in foods are digested by the body and do not end up on the skin. Also, the use of cosmetics, especially those that are non-oily, will not worsen acne. As long as you wash your face free of makeup, then that should be no problem.
How Do You Deal with Acne?
Here are some effective tips recommended by dermatologists for dealing with pimples.
- Moisturize – Do not listen to those who claim that using moisturizers can make your acne worse. In fact, when your skin becomes too dry, the oil glands try to make up for it by producing more oil, which can then cause breakouts.
- Use the Right Sunscreen -Some sunscreen products do contribute to acne breakouts. This is why you need to be careful in choosing the right sunscreen for your skin.
- Do Not Pop That Pimple -A large pimple can be very annoying and unsightly at the same time. But, you have to resist the urge to pop it. There really is no reason for you to pop a pimple, and it can only make things worse as it can get infected.
- Use Ice to Reduce Inflammation – If you really want to do something about a particularly bad pimple, then use ice to bring down the swelling. This is a very effective method.
- Never Use Toothpaste or Rubbing Alcohol – There are a lot of homemade treatments out there for acne, like using toothpaste or alcohol. Never use anything that is not recommended by a dermatologist.
Acne is a very common skin problem, and most people have to deal with it at some point in their lives. Being aware of the misconceptions some individuals have about acne and the methods for treating them can go a long way.