Skin breakouts are everyone’s worst nightmare. Even celebrities are not exempted from skin impurities. It is said that around 50 million Americans suffer from acne. If you are one of them, it is a good idea to visit a dermatologist in Salt Lake City for proper acne treatment.
Why acne occurs
Acne commonly occurs when puberty ushers in. This is the time when sebaceous glands, which make your face oily, become more active and create pimples. While acne is more common in the teenage years, it also occurs late into adulthood. Acne is not life-threatening, but it can cause permanent scarring and pockmarks that cause low self-esteem.
There are many causes of acne. They vary depending on the condition’s severity. Some experience small zits that are easily treated with creams and other topical medications. On the other hand, some come in clumps that can be painful and tender to the touch.
Common causes of acne
One of the most common culprits of acne is stress. When we are stressed, our hormones become messed up. This causes mood swings, irregular periods, and yes, acne. Days leading up to your expected menstrual period can cause acne. Other causes of acne include the following:
1. Your acne spot treatment
These products usually contain benzoyl peroxide, sulfur, and salicylic acid. While these ingredients are meant to treat your pimples, overusing them can make your facial situation worse.
2. Your facial wash/scrub
It is a common belief that the more you scrub your face, the smoother your face will be. However, it does the opposite. Your face’s skin is more sensitive or prone to irritation, and scrubbing it can make your breakouts worse.
3. Your shampoo and other hair products
Most hair products also contain ingredients that can cause skin breakouts, such as sulfates, parabens, and silicones. These can cause skin breakouts on your face and even on your chest and back.
4. Not washing your face after working out or being outdoors
A lot of people often take face washing for granted. You have to wash your face, especially after workouts or being outdoors. Otherwise, dirt, oil, and makeup remnants can clog your pores and cause those dreaded breakouts.
What to do to avoid skin breakouts
Here are some essential tips to follow if you want to have an acne-free face.
- Check the ingredients. If you have to use a particular beauty product, make sure not to overdo it. The same case applies when using a facial scrub. Look for ones that are “non-comedogenic.”
- Make it a habit to wash your face (not just using wipes or makeup remover), especially after sweating or being outdoors. Use a mild cleanser when cleaning your face.
- When shampooing or using conditioner, tilt your head so that the foam does not reach your face.
- Use some sunscreen with zinc or titanium oxide before going out under the sun.
- Take note of what you are eating. Consult a dermatologist or a gastroenterologist to determine which foods cause your breakouts.
Skin breakouts can affect all of us at some point in our lives. The given tips will help you lessen those dreaded zits and keep your skin healthy and smooth.